With v5.9.0 of the Contacts Journal iOS app, you can scan business cards and save them directly to your contacts, saving you from manually typing in all the details! The text scanning and categorization all happens locally on-device, so it's very efficient and quick, as well as being great for privacy!
Note: this feature requires a "Contacts Journal Teams" plan.
- This feature requires iOS16
- This feature is supported on iOS devices with an Apple Neural Engine chip (which is in most models made in 2018 and beyond)
- This feature is supported for the following languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean and Japanese
How to scan business cards:
- In the CJournal app's Contacts list, select the + button, then select "Scan Business Card"
- As text is recognized by the camera, you will see one or more 'highlight' boxes around the text.
- Once the 'highlight' boxes are covering all the text area in the card, press the "Scan" button
- All emails, phone numbers, URLs, name and addresses will be automatically scanned and categorized. We'll also try to categorize the company name and job title as best as possible
- For text that we cannot categorize automatically, you will see a list of "Uncategorized" text. You can press the "..." button in front of each line of text to categorize it into the contact field you want.
- After the scan is done, a picture of the card will also be saved with the contact, so you can refer back to it if needed
For best results, take the scan with good lighting and a plain background
Hold the phone as steady over the card as possible, and as close to the card as possible
- If the text on the card is too small, it might not be recognized by the camera
- Always check for typos before saving the contact detail.
If you have any issues with scanning feature, please email us at email@example.com, and include an image of the business card if possible.