To start adding contacts into Contacts Journal, press the + button on the Contacts list page. You can then choose from one of these options:
- Import from Contacts: import contacts from your Contacts app
- Create Contact: create a new contact, which will also be added to the iPhone contacts list
- Create Private Contact: create a private contact, which will only be saved and visible inside Contacts Journal
- Import CSV File: import your contacts list from a CSV file
- Import vCard: import a vCard file, from your computer over WiFi
You can import your existing contacts from the Apple Contacts app, and all their information will be available within the Contacts Journal app. Moreover, the changes you make to these contacts in the Apple Contacts will be synced automatically into Contacts Journal, and vice versa.
Note that deleting a contact inside Contacts Journal will not remove the contact in the Apple Contacts app, unless you change this by going to More -> Settings -> enable "Delete Public Contacts" option.
You can use the "Create Contact" option to create new contacts that are saved in both the Contacts Journal and the Apple Contacts app. The "Create Contacts' page is designed to be very efficient, and you can quickly add basic contact information, as well as set Custom Fields, Tags, and even add tasks with ToDos, all when adding the contact.
Create Private Contacts
You can create "Private Contacts" if you want to keep a contact only inside Contacts Journal, and don't want to save it to the Apple Contacts app. This can help prevent mixing your personal Contacts data with your business or professional contacts list.
Private Contacts can only be added to 'Private Groups', and cannot be added to 'Public Groups'.