With iOS14 and Contacts Journal v5.6, you can setup custom widgets from the Contacts Journal app on your home screen! You can install 2 different types of widgets:
- “Nearby Contacts”: to view contacts around your current location
- “Upcoming ToDos”: to quickly glance at your upcoming tasks.
To add a widget to your home-screen:
- press-and-hold on your home-screen for a second
- with the home-screen in Edit mode, press the + button on top
- select or search for CJournal in the list
- select the size and type of widget you want to install, and press "Add Widget"
Working with Widgets
Both widgets from Contacts Journal are designed to provide useful, glanceable information right on your home screen. Here are a couple of useful tips when using widgets:
- in the "Nearby Contacts" widget in the medium or large size, you can tap on the map picture to open the app into the Maps section, OR you can tap on the name of the contact to open the app into the contact's profile page (where you can easily use the Logs tab to review notes, or send an email or place a phone call).
- similarly, in the "Upcoming ToDos" widget, you can tap on the summary section to jump into the "Upcoming" section of the CJournal app, or you can tap on the ToDo's details and that will open the app with the ToDo you selected
Widgets Location Tracking
For "Nearby Contacts", the widget will refresh every few minutes, depending on whether your location changed. It will show you contacts is they are within 10 miles (or kilometers) from your current location.
For more up-to-date location tracking, you can enable Contacts Journal to receive "Always" permission for location tracking. To do this, open the Settings app -> Privacy -> Location Services -> CJournal -> change the "Allow Location Access" setting to "Always". This way, the CJournal app will be able to monitor location changes in the background, and update the widget more frequently to show very up-to-date information on your widget.